Happy Halloween everyone! I hope you all have a fun and safe Halloween. Remember to keep your pets safe too! Chocolate is toxic to dogs and with loose candy, doorbells, and open doors, pets can easily get into things they shouldn’t and they can get out of areas they shouldn’t! Here are tips for how to keep your pets safe this Halloween from the Beverly Hills Patch:
* Keep pets indoors in a secure, comfortable area with a radio or television playing in the background. Many pets fear the noises of trick-or-treaters. Ensure that your pets can’t bolt outside when you open the door to pass out candy.
* Always keep your pet’s license current. A current license and ID tag should be securely affixed to your pet’s collar. A license tag and a microchip is the only voice a pet has if he or she becomes lost.
* Do not leave pets outside unattended. Loud noises frighten pets and they may panic, become confused, and go through great lengths to escape their enclosures.
* Keep pets away from all candy. Chocolate, which contains theobromine, can be poisonous to pets, causing nerve damage and even death. Candy with raisins should especially be avoided, as raisins (and grapes) can cause kidney failure in dogs.
* Properly dispose of all candy wrappers. Tinfoil and cellophane candy wrappers are tempting treats for pets and can cause pets to choke or to have intestinal blocks.
* Keep pumpkins or jack-o-lanterns away from pets. Pets can easily knock them over, which could result in a burn.
* Halloween pet costumes can pose safety hazards for pets. Do not dress your pet up unless he or she is used to it. Make sure the costume does not restrict their movement, vision, hearing, or the ability to breathe or bark. Pet costumes should not have small or dangling accessories that can be swallowed by your pet.
* If your pet does become lost, it is critical that you physically visit the animal shelters surrounding your area. Be sure to bring a photograph of your missing pet to post at your local shelter.