Game of Thrones is one of my favorite shows but I have to admit, I have a hard time following what is happening sometimes! I created this “cheat-sheet” summary as my guide when watching the show — it breaks down each of the kingdoms and some of the key characters. I hope you find this helpful too! **Spoiler Alert** – depending on where you are in the series, there may be some spoilers here. I am caught up on Season 3 so be careful what you read!
1. House Stark, Castle: Winterfell
- Robb Stark – he is the heir of Winterfell after his father Ned was beheaded in season one. He vows to destroy the Lannister kingdom. His mother is Lady Catelyn.
- Jon Snow – Jon is also Ned’s son but born to another woman so Lady Catelyn always ostracized him unduly from the family, eventually being sent off to serve the Night’s Watch.
- Lady Catelyn Stark -She was Ned’s wife who then joined Robb’s camp as they move towards defeating the Lannisters.
- Sansa Stark – Sansa is the beautiful red-headed daughter of Ned and Lady Catelyn who was forced to marry King Joffrey. I am really looking forward to seeing how she gets her revenge!
- Arya Stark – Another daughter who is living in the woods as a boy, trying to get back to her family in Winterfell.
- Bran Stark – Bran is the paraplegic boy who recently has been named a “Warg” or, I believe, one that can communicate through animals. Possibly he has psychic ability?
2. House Baratheon, Castle: King’s Landing:
- Robert Baratheon – Robert was the King of Westeros (the entire land that makes up all of the kingdoms) but was killed in a hunting accident. I feel like the show led us to believe he may have also been poisoned by Cersei. When he died, his only heir Joffrey became King however we all know at this point that Joffrey is NOT Robert’s son at all, but likely a product of incest between Cersei and her brother Jaime! When this is hopefully discovered, the only other living male Baratheon is Stannis.
- Joffrey Baratheon – the evil boy king who has enslaved Sansa Stark and is sure his due penance hopefully soon!
- Stannis Baratheon -Stannis is Robert’s brother who lives in his own castle Dragonstone. He is also on a mission to claim his place on the iron throne and has recently taken up with the red-haired witch “Melisandre”.
- Petry Baelish aka “Littlefinger” – Lord Baelish is an interesting character but I do not trust him. While he is not part of the Baratheon family, he is kept on as someone who knows the inner workings of the kingdom better than anyone else (especially with all the turnover). He actually grew up in the same kingdom as Lady Catelyn and has always been in love with her.
- Melisandre – The red-haired witch that has heavily influenced Stannis’ decisions and behavior. Not sure what she is up to …
- Davos Seaworth – Davos was an advisor to Stannis but has since been punished and imprisoned by Stannis, likely due to the trickery of Melisandre.
3. House Lannister, Castle: Casterly Rock
- Tywin Lannister – Tywin is the Lord and father of the Lannister children. Very wealthy with a lot of influence but more interested in waging war it seems than helping to rule King’s Landing.
- Cersei Lannister – I wonder what she has up her sleeve. While I’m sure she feels she should be queen, she actually has to obey her own son Joffrey as the king.
- Tyrion Lannister – Tyrion is Tywin’s son, whose mother died during childbirth and Tywin has never forgiven Tyrion. Not to mention Tywin loathes Tyrion’s insatiable appetite for “ladies for hire”.
- Jaime Lannister – Tywin’s son and Cersei’s twin brother (also Joffery’s father).
4. House Targaryon, Castle: Dragonstone
- Daenerys aka “Dany” – The Dragon princess, on a quest to gain her own seat at the throne and rule over Westeros with her dragons. Her father Aerys was actually killed by Jaime Lannister when the Baratheons overthrew their original home of Dragonstone (now occupied by Stannis). I love this storyline and the little bit of fantasy that goes along with it. I just wish they would show more!
- Ser Jorah Mormont – Dany’s friend and trusted advisor, he is an exiled knight that was actually banished by his own father Jeor Mormont, the Lord Commander of Night’s Watch! Interesting how they tie together.
5. House Greyjoy, Castle: Pyke
- Balon Greyjoy – Theon’s withered father who was essentially banished for trying to overthrow Robert Barathon. He had to give up his son Theon as punishment.
- Theon Greyjoy – After living with the Stark family for so long and not really enjoying his place in Robb Stark’s shadows, he chose to wage war on his own and on behalf of House Greyjoy.
6. Night’s Watch, Castle: Black
- Jeor Marmont – He is the Lord Commander of Night’s Watch. He is leading the watch into the wild to investigate White Walker sightings.
- Samwell Tarly – Poor guy was sent off to serve in Night’s Watch for no other reason that being deemed useless due to his physical stature and lack of intelligence.
7. Wildlings A.K.A. “Free Folk”
- Ygritte – She is one of the “Free folk”. Those in this category are considered wildlings or groups that do not subscribe to the structure and hierarchy of the Seven Kingdoms.
- Mancy Rayder – Mance Rayder is considered “King beyond the wall” by the Free folk.
- Tormund Giantsbane – He is Mance Rayder’s second-in-command.